Friends of the Sawyer Free Library
“The important thing about being a Friend is that I not only get to enjoy all the library services, but I’m helping to provide them for everybody in the community” -A current member of our Friends
Who are the Friends?
The Friends of the Sawyer Free Library are a community of involved library users whose fundraising activities support the programming and services to the entire user population in Gloucester.
What Does Membership Mean?
Our most important income comes from Membership Dues which are pooled with the funds raised through sales of Friends merchandise, the ongoing Sales Spot, the Annual Book Sale, the Art Auction (in association with the Art Committee) and other activities. We use these funds to help the library in these tight budget times. Through your donation, you help every Sawyer Free Library user have access to services and additional resources.
What Do Your Contributions Do?
- The Friends support programming throughout the library, helping to create the new Makerspace in the Children’s Room, new and attractive furniture in the Teen Area and Lyceum and other presentations for Adults.
- Museum Passes for free or reduced admission to local museums
- Supported a wide range of purchases to make your library experience better — things such as the new chairs we all find so comfortable at meetings, the drop-off box in the parking lot, self check-out stations and Wii U, Play Station 4, 3D printing pens, and Minecraft for teens. We’ll continue identifying and supporting such projects.
- Free copies of the BOOK PAGE
- Services for the elderly and homebound that includes book groups and book delivery
How Can You Get Involved in More Ways than Paying Dues?
There are occasional work tasks such as staffing the Annual Booksale, helping staff move collections, or providing services to the homebound. We will send current members information about these opportunities, but if you’re interested and non-digital we can call you to discuss these opportunities. Please note your interest when you submit your membership form.
Is there something that you, as a Friend of the Sawyer Free Library, would like to see us support? We’d love to hear from you! Email the Board of the Friends and let us know.