Local Literary Connections
Gloucester has many literary associations weaved throughout its history. From the American Revolution to the present day writers have found a welcoming home here and have used the community as a touchstone for American life and culture.
Prominent Historic Writers
Explore the lives and works of these authors who have graced Gloucester with their presence and reflected Gloucester’s grace in their words.
Virginia Lee Burton
T. S. Eliot
Judith Sargent Murray
Current Writers Support Groups
- Gloucester Poet Laureate – dedicated to the poets and poetry of Gloucester
- The Gloucester Writers Center – celebrates, preserves and promotes the future of Gloucester’s rich literary legacy
- GrubStreet – one of the leading independent centers for creative writing in the United States
- Massachusetts Center For the Book – the Commonwealth affiliate of the Center for the Book in the Library of Congress to promote “books, reading, literacy, and libraries” at the national and local levels
- North Shore Writers’ Association – a supportive community of published and aspiring writers who share their knowledge and experience