Pathways to Economic Growth
Becoming financially empowered involves a combination of access to information and skill-building in order to identify and work toward goals. The Sawyer Free Library supports community members with pathways to economic growth by offering access to free online resources, books, and technology. For more in-depth job seeker support such as resume help and interview tips, we highly recommend Action Inc located at 180 Main Street in Gloucester.
Foundation Directory Online (On-site Access Only): A searchable database of 140,000+ foundations, grantmaking public charities, and corporate givers, including sponsoring company information. On-site access to FDO is permitted anytime the library is open and requires no login. It can be accessed directly through the link above on one of the public computers or by connecting to the Sawyer Free Library wi-fi network.
- Business Collection: Coverage includes accounting, marketing and management, plus business theory and practice.
- Business Source Premier: The industry’s most used business research database, providing full text for more than 2,300 journals, including full text for more than 1,100 peer-reviewed titles. (NOBLE cards only)
- Economic Empowerment for Every Stage of Your Financial Journey: MyFinancialLifeMA.org is brought to you by Deborah B. Goldberg, Treasurer and Receiver General of Massachusetts, in collaboration with the Office of Economic Empowerment
- Economics and Theory: Articles on economics, interviews with CEOs and entrepreneurs, and more.
- Insurance and Liability Collection: Reliable information on labor relations, mortgages, legal issues and more.
- LinkedIn Learning (Career): A massive open online course provider that provides video courses taught by industry experts in software, creative, and business skills.
- Regional Business News: Comprehensive full text coverage for regional business publications. Incorporates coverage of 75 business journals, newspapers and newswires from all metropolitan and rural areas within the United States. (NOBLE cards only)
Books (Audiobooks, eBooks, and Print Resources)
Here are some suggestions for books in various formats that may help with your personal economic growth and advancement.
- Laptops, tablets, and WiFi hotspots available to borrow with your library card.
- Desktop computers at 21 Main Street for use with your library card or guest pass.
- Printing and photocopying up to 10 pages per day for free, plus scanning and saving via email and flash drive.
- Device Advice on Tuesdays and Thursdays – one on one appointments with a member of the library staff.