Who We Are
The Friends of the Sawyer Free Library are a community of involved library users whose fundraising activities support the programming and services to the entire user population in Gloucester.
What Membership Means
Your membership dues are pooled with the funds raised through sales of Friends merchandise, the Annual Book Sale and other activities to help the library in these tight budget times. Through your donation, you help every Sawyer Free Library user have access to services and additional resources.
What Does Your Contribution do?
- Support of programming – The Lyceum, the Children’s Room and Teens in particular. Our contributions allow expanded offerings
- Welcome package and reading journal for all children who get their first library card
- Museum Passes for free or reduced admission to local museums
- New self-checkout stations in both Adult and Children’s areas to help at busy times or simply when you’re ready and there’s a line
- New Wii and Mindcraft for Teens that pulls kids into the library and provides fun and constructive ways to engage them
- New chairs to make attendance at all presentations more comfortable and to help the library be a more flexible and useable space
- Refreshments at public meetings to make the library a more welcoming site
- Volunteer coordination and training for the Public Records Project
- Free book review publication to all patrons
- Services for the elderly and homebound that includes book groups and book delivery
- A drop-off box so you don’t have to park and pay the meter when all you want to do is return a book
Do You Want to Get Involved in More Ways than Just Paying Membership Dues?
There are occasional work tasks such as staffing the Annual Booksale, helping staff move collections, or providing services to the homebound. We will send current members information about these opportunities, but if you’re interested and non-digital we can call you to discuss these opportunities. Please note your interest when you submit your membership form.
Is there something that you, as a Friend of the Sawyer Free Library, would like to see us support? We’d love to hear from you! Email the Board of the Friends and let us know.
How to Join
Membership runs October 1 to September 30. The annual membership drive runs throughout the month of October. We hope you’ll consider joining the Friends and becoming an important contributor to the programs and resources through which your membership money is distributed.
You can print this form or pick one up at the library. Or you can join the Friends of the Library or Renew your membership securely using PayPal: