Poetry Writing Tips and Resources for Kids
Advice for Writing Poetry
- Poetry Lessons for Kids Kenn Nesbitt, author of many poetry books for children, shares oodles of lessons on how to write poems.
- Writing with Writers: Poetry Writing Learn to craft the perfect poem from step-by-step workshops by children’s authors Jack Prelutsky, Karla Kuskin, and Joan Marzollo.
- Giggle Poetry Take a poetry class and play games.
- Poetry Idea Engine Don’t miss Scholastic’s Poetry Idea Engine if you want some help getting ideas.
- Interactive Sites for Education: Poetry Read poems and play games to get some inspiration.
- KidZone Poetry Projects Get some ideas for poems for all ages and seasons.
- PBS Parents: Creativity: Haiku Write a haiku while playing a fun game.
- Magnetic Poetry Have a blast with magnetic poetry online.
Recommendations: Great Poems for Children
- Poetry Foundation: Essential Children’s Collection Two respected children’s literature consultants recommend poetry for school and public library collections.
- Poetry Foundation: Children’s Video: Includes Classical Baby and a Child’s Garden of Poetry
- Poems Kids Like Read poems that have remained popular with children for generations.
- PBS Parents: Popular Poems for Kids Find your next favorite poet.
- Reading Rockets: National Poetry Month Great booklists and videos of authors reading poems.
- Mother Goose Rhymes Remember the rhythms and rhymes of nursery rhymes.
Popular Children’s Poets
- Young People’s Poet Laureate, Jacqueline Woodson
- Douglas Florian
- Dr. Seuss
- Jack Prelutsky
- J. Patrick Lewis
- Kenn Nesbitt
- Marilyn Singer
- Mary Ann Hoberman
- Nikki Grimes
- Shel Silverstein