Material Donation Policy
The Gloucester Lyceum and Sawyer Free Library, Inc. is grateful for the generosity of the community. However, lack of space and other considerations limit the ability to accept donations. For all types of donations the following guidelines apply:
- Donations will be evaluated in accordance with the criteria and objectives by which purchased materials are judged. Please refer to the Collection Management Policy for selection criteria. The library reserves the right to review any donation based on the guidelines.
- Library may refuse donations due to lack of storage space.
- Any special collection of materials that a donor wishes the library to consider solely for the purposes of integration into the collection needs to be reviewed. Acceptance is at the discretion of the Library Director only. If a donation is integrated into the collection, the library reserves the right to decide the conditions of display, housing, access, and withdrawal of the material.
- If requested the library will give a receipt only stating the type and number of materials donated. The library will not assign any monetary value to the donation. Acceptance of a donation which has been appraised by a third, and disinterested party, does not in any way imply an endorsement of the appraisal by the library.
In addition, the following guidelines apply to specific material types:
- Books must be current, generally published in the last five years
- Books must be in good condition: not yellowed, musty-smelling, materials marked, torn or dog-eared
- Textbooks, academic level material, dated encyclopedias or medical material, review only copies, materials marked or torn and condensed books are not accepted
- All books not added to the collection may be sold, donated or repurposed at the discretion of the collection development staff
- Magazines must be current, generally published in the last one to two years
- Magazines must be in good condition: not musty-smelling, torn, cut up or marked
- Academic journals, sales catalogs, and specialized magazines are not accepted
- All magazines not added to the collection may be sold, donated or repurposed at the discretion of the collection development staff
- Different format types may have different acceptance guidelines and may change as media formats evolve
- Media must be in good condition: playable, not scratched, dilapidated or marked
- Media must not be copied or violate copyright in any way
- All media not added to the collection may be sold, donated or repurposed discretion of the collection development staff
Approved by Board of Directors: March 3, 2015