Art and Artifacts Donation Policy
The Gloucester Lyceum and Sawyer Free Library, Inc. appreciates the special place that it has in the community to provide a cultural showplace that is freely open to the public for works of art and other artifacts. Despite this recognition, the library’s primary mission may not be able to allow for all aspects of this aspiration.
Acceptance of any work or object is at the discretion of the Board of Directors. Once accepted, the work or object becomes the sole property of the Corporation, which has total control and discretion in regards to the display, storage or disposal of the item.
Donors should be aware that the library does not maintain separate insurance on donated works. The donor or his/her lawful agent must complete a Deed of Gift form before a gift can be accepted.
The following factors will be considered in the decision to accept the donation:
- Relation of the subject or the artist to the library or Cape Ann
- Size, condition and media of the work
- Ability of the library to display and maintain the work
- Reputation of the artist
- Inclusion of copyright permission for the artwork
- Restrictions or stipulations on the disposition of the art
- Provenance or other documentation of the work
- Relation of the artifact to the library or Cape Ann
- Size and condition of the artifact and what it’s made of
- Ability of the library to display and maintain the artifact
- Restrictions or stipulations on the disposition of the artifact
- Provenance or other documentation of the artifact
Approved by Board of Directors: March 3, 2015